Remote Instruction and Support Topics
Through remote instruction using Zoom, FaceTime, Skype, phones and other distance methods, the Carroll Center can provide instruction and support to individuals (and family members, if appropriate) who need skills and support at home. Individuals can choose what services they would like to engage in based on needs and interest. We are currently serving children, teens and adults. Please find the available remote instruction and support topics on the following list. We are also open to special requests.
- Individualized counseling. (1 hour per week)
- Weekly support group through Zoom. (1 hour per week)
- Family and consumer counseling together. (1 hour per week)
- Resource management for coordination of community resources such as applying for housing, food stamps, managing food/medication deliveries. (1 to 2 hours per week)
Activities of Daily Living
- Personal management skills such as cooking, labeling, organizing. (2 to 4 hours per week)
- Direct braille instruction at all levels. (2 to 4 hours per week)
- Orientation & Mobility (O&M) technologies for way-finding and accessing transportation, smartphone navigation, travel and directional concepts, safety concepts, cane technique, telescope use, environment mapping. (2 to 4 hours per week)
- Zoom Instruction Short Course (3 hours)
- Learning Zoom, online platforms for school, work, community engagement. (2 to 4 hours per session)
- Use of low vision devices. (1 to 2 hours per week)
- iPhone, iPad and Android use and apps (2 to 4 hours per session)
- Mac instruction. (2 to 4 hours per session)
- JAWS with Microsoft Office applications, internet, file management, calendar use (3 to 5 hours per session)
- Braille notetakers and displays. (2 to 4 hours per session)
- College-specific skills including higher level skills for document creation, presentations, online learning and resources, etc. (2 to 4 hours per session)
- Use of audiobook reading devices, including use of BARD. (2 to 4 hours per session)
- Amazon Echo and Google Dot products. (2 to 4 hours)
- Job-readiness communication and soft skills such as resume creation, interview skills, online applications, social media, etc. (individual and group sessions; 2 hours per session)
I’m so glad I took the Carroll Center’s remote Zoom training class. I had listened to some other training audio resources, but none of it seemed to sink in. The Carroll Center’s class was just right, focused on the aspects I need to know about, and gave me a chance to actually try things so I could learn by doing. The icing on the cake was that I then got a set of short audio recordings, organized in a way that helped me go directly to the information I needed to reference. Just perfect! I participated in a Zoom meeting 2 days after the class and felt completely comfortable doing the actions I wanted to do.
If you are in need of any type of individualized remote instruction or support, please reach out to us by phone at (617) 969-6200 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Massachusetts funding is still available for Social Rehabilitation clients but please note this funding expires on June 30 and there is a great chance this funding will not be available next fiscal year.
Out-of-state individuals who are registered with their local state blindness agency should make an inquiry to their case manager. Please contact Admissions for more information.