The Accessibility Bootcamp (TAB) for High School and College Students
What is TAB all About?
Current College or High school students interested in accessibility, generative AI, and maximizing productivity with Microsoft and Google apps who also intuitively interact with desktop websites with either Job Access with Speech (JAWS) or Non Visual Desktop Access (NVDA) will be a perfect fit for this unique opportunity to dive into the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)! By completing this opportunity, students will gain valuable skills in web accessibility, generative AI, and productivity tools such as Microsoft and Google apps, which are highly sought after by employers in various industries. These skills will enable them to contribute to a more inclusive and accessible web and increase their competitiveness in the job market.
What You’ll Learn:
- JAWS and NVDA settings for accessibility testing
- Hypertext markup language (html) element semantics
- Creative screen reader interaction techniques for navigating desktop websites
- Written and verbal accessibility testing reporting
- Gmail and Google Calendar communication and event management
- Leveraging Chat GPT to accelerate productivity and independent learning
- Incorporating WCAG into accessibility testing to derive meaningful insights
- You type at least 30 words per minute with at least 90% accuracy
- You use JAWS or NVDA on a regular basis
- You have your own Windows laptop or desktop
- You use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, or Firefox on a regular basis
- You use Microsoft Office or Google Workspace on a regular basis
- You produce written content with a high level of clarity
- You independently manage your own email communication
I’m Interested! What Do I Do Next?
If interested in TAB, please complete this Google form. Interviews will be conducted starting in June 2023. Funding may be obtained from your state VR agency. If you have questions, please email Nick.email@example.com.
If the above Google Form link does not work, please copy and paste the following URL into your web browser:
When: July 31 to August 11, 2023 (Weekdays)
Time: 10:30 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. and 1:00 P.M. to 2:30 P.M. Eastern Time
Who: Native screen reader users presently enrolled in college or high school
Where: Remote using Zoom video conferencing