23rd New England Regional Braille Challenge
The Carroll Center for the Blind will host the 23rd New England Regional Braille Challenge February 11, 2023, in-person at the Carroll Center. The Virtual New England Regional Braille Challenge will be held on January 28, 2023, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm.
Join us for this year’s virtual and in person Braille Challenge! The Braille Challenge is a national competition for school-age children who read and write braille. More than 1,000 braille readers participate in this nationwide competition, promoting the importance of braille literacy through 51 regionals across North America.
Students must register ASAP. Please email email@example.com to register and acquire a permission form.
- Contestants must have access to the internet and a device with video conference capability.
- A parent or household member must be present with the contestant during the entire testing.
- Contests must be picked up at the Carroll Center or will be mailed to the contestant. The seal on the testing envelope inside the box must not be broken until the virtual proctoring has begun and the Proctor can view the envelope being opened via video conference.
- Once contests are complete, they must be repacked in their original shipping box and returned to the New England Regional Coordinator at the Carroll Center.
- Contestants must have access to a Perkins brailler.
- If you do not have access to a Perkins brailler at home, you may contact us for ideas on where to borrow a brailler.
- Braille paper for brailling contest answers will be provided.
- For Sophomore, JV, and Varsity categories (5th-12th grades) you must use either a Victor Reader Stream, Victor Reader Trek, or Bookport device for the Speed & Accuracy portion of the testing.
- If you do not have access to those devices at home, please indicate that on the permission form and a Bookport will be provided for you.
- An optional Bookport training will be provided ahead of time.
Each contestant will be joining a video meeting where other contestants in their age group will be testing at the same time. A Proctor and a Proctor Assistant will lead the meeting and provide instructions.
Participants must return their contests by delivering in person or mailing to the Carroll Center by Wednesday, February 15th.
When: Saturday, February 11, 2023
From: 9:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M.
Where: Carroll Center