22nd New England Regional Braille Challenge
The Carroll Center for the Blind will host the 22nd New England Regional Braille Challenge on February 12, 2022, as a virtual event from 9:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.
Join us for this year’s virtual Braille Challenge! The Braille Challenge is a national competition for school-age children who read and write braille. More than 1,000 braille readers participate in this nationwide competition, promoting the importance of braille literacy through 51 regionals across North America.
Students must register by January 14, 2022. Please email email@example.com to register and acquire a permission form.
Virtual Braille Brush-Up
Want to improve your literacy skills before the Braille Challenge? Join us for our Virtual Braille Brush-up on Saturday, January 29, 2022, from 9:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. Receive speed brailling instruction in Bookport Plus and/or Victor Reader Stream and improve your skills in Braille Reading & Writing, Spelling, Proofreading, and Tactile Graphics. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register by January 14, 2022. For more information on this year’s New England Regional Braille Challenge, contact Emily Cohen at (617) 969-6200 ext. 204.
- Contestants must have access to the internet and a device with video conference capability.
- A parent or household member must be present with the contestant during the entire testing.
- Contests must be picked up at the Carroll Center or will be mailed to the contestant. The seal on the testing envelope inside the box must not be broken until the virtual proctoring has begun and the Proctor can view the envelope being opened via video conference.
- Once contests are complete, they must be packed and returned to the New England Regional Coordinator at the Carroll Center.
- Contestants must have access to a Perkins brailler.
- If you do not have access to a Perkins brailler at home, you may request a brailler on loan to pick up with your contests.
- Braille paper for brailling contest answers will be provided.
- For Sophomore, JV, and Varsity categories (5th-12th grades) you must use either a Victor Reader Stream, Victor Reader Trek, or Bookport device for the Speed & Accuracy portion of the testing.
- If you do not have access to those devices at home, please indicate that on the permission form and a Bookport will be provided for you.
- An optional Bookport training will be provided ahead of time.
- Contestants must pick up their contests at The Carroll Center. If you cannot pick up your contest in person, you must specify so on your permission form and they will be shipped to you before the event. Contest boxes MUST NOT be opened prior to joining the contest video meeting on February 12th.
- Once you have joined the meeting on February 12th, the Proctor will instruct you to open your contest box.
Each contestant will be joining a video meeting where other contestants in their age group will be testing at the same time. A Proctor and a Proctor Assistant will lead the meeting and provide instructions.
Participants must return their contests by delivering in person or mailing to the Carroll Center by Wednesday, February 16th.
Winners will be announced during a virtual Zoom Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, March 22, 2022, at 7:00 P.M. A link will be shared with registered participants closer to the event. All students who complete testing will be provided a goodie bag. Winners for each age category will receive a prize. Prizes and goodie bags will be shipped or delivered to students.
When: Saturday, February 12, 2022
From: 9:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.