CERTIFIED ORIENTATION & MOBILITY SPECIALIST (REHAB OR EDUCATION SERVICES)
[Full Time/ Part Time/ Hours]
Full and part time positions available in Rehab and Education Services.
- $3000 Signing Bonus and moving cost assistance (30+ hours).
- Currently enrolled students in master’s program for orientation and mobility are encouraged to apply.
If you want to create positive change in the lives of people with visual impairments, you belong with us!
Each year, the Carroll Center for the Blind helps nearly 1,300 blind or visually impaired children, adults and senior citizens gain the skills they need to live active and fulfilling lives. Our Newton campus houses our rehabilitation program, computer training classes, low vision store, and administrative offices. A large portion of our programs are services conducted in public schools, clients’ homes, and their communities.
WHO WE SEEK
We seek a compassionate, high-energy COMS to provide instruction which integrates non-visual methods with low vision aids/techniques, conduct assessments, provide indoor/outdoor instruction, including the use of public transportation, produce written assessments, document client’s progress, present at meetings with clients and their families, and serve as liaison with referring agency representatives.
- Assessment and Evaluation: conduct orientation and mobility assessments that focus on immediate and long-term needs of the student at intervals designated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. Assess, identify and document the strengths, needs and goals of the student.
- Consultation: Provides consultation and support services to all members of the team including parents, educators, specialty providers. Recommends adaptations to school/home buildings. Orders equipment needed for safe and effective travel.
- Instruction: Instructs in skills and concepts to enable them to travel as independently as possible based upon goals and objectives of the Individualized Education Program. Teaches students to travel with safety, proficiency and confidence in familiar and unfamiliar environments. Ensures student’s safety during O&M lessons while fostering maximum independence. Prepares or uses equipment and materials as appropriate to promote development of O&M skills
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Orientation and Mobility and ACVREP (COMS) certification, or eligibility for ACVREP certification required.
- 2 years of COMS experience required
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, attention to detail and oral/written skills required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office a plus
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license
We offer a generous benefits package to include health and dental coverage, vision, Flexible Spending Account, 4 weeks accrued vacation, personal day, 12 accrued sick days, 11 holidays and a retirement program (403b) with up to a 3% employer match.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form (linked below) and also email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Should you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.
The Carroll Center for the Blind is a private, non-profit agency located in Newton, Massachusetts that serves persons of All Ages and All Stages of Vision Loss. We are close to Boston, Cambridge, Wellesley, Watertown, Waltham, Allston/Brighton, and on public transit routes.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law.
The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all. Our mission and impact shine bright on all.