Teen Job Readiness
Teen Job Readiness – Virtual
Program Dates: Thursdays; July 23 to August 20, 2020
Time: 1:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. (Eastern Time)
Do you want to work? Are you unsure where to start or how to apply? Teen Job Readiness is a 5-session remote series designed for teens seeking work that will walk you through the process of how to find and manage your first job. Class will be a combination of lecture and discussion. Budgeting and money management will be included. Students will gain skills in workplace readiness and self-advocacy.
- Session 1: Student introductions; considering and preparing to find a job; what does work mean to me.
- Session 2: Self-advocacy, presenting yourself, interview skills and requesting accommodations: Discussion and role-playing with guest speaker.
- Session 3: Conquering and Traveling in the Community; review of types of transportation available to you, planning and learning routes, traveling in challenging weather, importance of reliability in maintaining employment.
- Session 4: Find and completing job applications; how to submit a job application online or through email.
- Session 5: Managing your work money, filling out work forms; understanding SSI and other benefits and how they are affected by work.
Sessions will include guest speakers on accommodations and disclosure, benefits, HR staff from retail, finance, and healthcare industries; and successfully employed persons who are blind.
Students in grades 9 through 12 with little to no job experience.
Technology needed to use the Zoom platform including camera and microphone. Students will receive instruction in use of Zoom and a check of their independent access skills in a required prep session held the week before the course begins.
If you are interested in attending Teen Job Readiness, our admissions team is ready to answer any questions you may have. Please contact us at (617) 969-6200, extension 216 or by email at email@example.com.
Out-of-state individuals who are registered with their local state blindness agency should make an inquiry to their case manager.