Free Resources While You're Staying at Home
From fitness companies to makers of assistive technology software, organizations across the board are stepping up to support the blind and visually impaired community during the COVID-19 (CoronaVirus) pandemic. Because the health and safety of our consumers, friends and family is our top priority, we’ve put together some of our favorite free CoronaVirus resources that are currently being offered to help you make the most of these times.
Education and Software
- Freedom Scientific is offering people in the US and Canada a free short-term Home Annual License of JAWS, ZoomText, or Fusion which will expire June 30, 2020. Freedom Scientific resources can be found online here.
- Aira is offering free service for any college student for the remainder of the spring semester ending in May 2020. If you know of a student who could benefit from Aira for their distance learning, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the program or call 1-800-835-1934.
- Objective Ed is making its distance learning tools immediately available for all teachers and their students. ObjectiveEd can help students with visual impairments learn critical life skills like braille and orientation through gamification. Objective Ed resources can be found online here.
- Accessibyte is offering their entire cloud platform of apps designed for children with visual impairments free for 45 days. The apps include things like arcade games and flash cards. Accessibyte resources can be found online here.
- Audible Stories is offering free access to educational and entertaining audiobook content. Anyone, in any country, can enjoy unlimited streaming of hundreds of titles for kids and families for free with selections available in six languages.
- Apple Books has a collection of free books in nearly every genre and for all ages, plus a “first in a series” promotion that lets readers get the first book in different series for free. Apple Books information can be found online here.
- For many people with disabilities, much of the data available regarding the COVID-19 outbreak is in a graphical format, which can be difficult to access. This Accessible COVID-19 statistics tracker was created to solve the lack of information by making critical statistics available in a text format that is easy to read and understand. Accessible COVID-19 Statistics Tracker can be accessed here.
Fitness and Wellness
- The Eyes-Free Fitness® audio exercise programs allow you to stretch, strengthen, condition, and tone your body. All of these programs are thoroughly described with extra supplementary audio and text materials, should they be needed. Get started with the Eyes-Free Fitness programs here.
- Headspace is temporarily unlocking a free, specially curated “Weathering the Storm” collection of meditation and mindfulness content online and in the Headspace app for people around the world, available in English, French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese. Download the Headspace app or visit the Headspace website here.
*Editor’s note: We will continue to update this page as we create and gather additional free CoronaVirus resources. Please view the most current information about what The Carroll Center for the Blind is doing during the situation here.*