Each year, the Carroll Center for the Blind helps nearly 1,300 blind or visually impaired children, adults and senior citizens gain the skills they need to live active and fulfilling lives. Our Newton campus houses our rehabilitation program, computer training classes, low vision store, and administrative offices. A large portion of our programs are services conducted in public schools, students’ homes, and their communities.
Who We Seek
We are looking for a Senior Accountant who is professional, has drive, is detail-oriented, analytical and wants to make a difference in the lives of so many. If you want to add purpose to your job and become inspired along the way, you belong with us.
The Senior Accountant will assist the CFO in defining the processes and implementing the infrastructure/systems needed to support growth over the next five to ten years. Additionally, they will manage general accounting operations, manage financial transactions, reconcile account balances and bank statements, supervise and ensure accuracy and effectiveness in all of the Carroll Center’s accounting tasks. Also, they will work with the external audit firm regarding the annual tax filings, prepare the MA-UFR, NY state CHAR 500, IRS 990, and MA PC to ensure compliance. They will assist the CFO and continue to build and manage effective and streamlined financial systems, to include accounting as well as contribute to the strategic planning, evaluation, and professional development initiatives.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and periodic financial reporting materials, income statements, cash flow, metrics and changes in financial budget variance analysis.
- Maintain and reconcile balance sheet and general ledger accounts.
- Assist CFO with the budget process and design/prepare budgets for review by department managers.
- Manage the biweekly payroll preparation and processing. Review and manage the Billing and Payables process. Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and coach assigned staff. Monitor staff performance, mentor and provide consistent feedback.
- Develop recommendations to optimize CCB’s accounting systems and procedures and detect inaccuracies.
- Manage food service vendor budgets and operations as well as troubleshoot any issues that arise.
- Assist external audit activities for annual tax filings and various government filings (including but not limited to: MA-UFR, NY state CHAR 500, IRS 990, MA PC) to maintain compliance.
- Prepare and present financial statements and analyses to the Audit and Finance Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Attend and take meeting minutes for the Audit and Finance Committee (5 meetings)
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication, organization, detailed-oriented, technology and analytical skills required. Experience collaborating on a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team a must.
- B.S. degree (CPA a plus) and 3-5 years of progressive experience in financial management and accounting required. Non profit experience preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of financial accounting information systems required, MS Dynamics preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office desktop applications, specifically Excel, required.
- Prior experience managing state contracts is a plus.
- Managing the finance and administration of a similar sized, non-profit organization serving health and human services is a plus.
We offer a generous benefits package to include health and dental coverage, vision, Flexible Spending Account, 3 weeks accrued vacation, personal day, 12 accrued sick days, 11 holidays and a retirement program (403b) with up to a 3% employer match.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form (linked below) and also email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Should you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.
The Carroll Center for the Blind is a private, non-profit agency located in Newton, Massachusetts that serves persons of All Ages and All Stages of Vision Loss. We are close to Boston, Cambridge, Wellesley, Watertown, Waltham, Allston/Brighton, and on public transit routes.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law.
The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all. Our mission and impact shines bright on all.