JOB COACH & VOCATIONAL ASSISTANT
[Part Time, 15-20 hours per week]
Do you want to do meaningful work and make a difference in individuals who are blind and visually impaired that are seeking employment? Then come join us!
Each year, the Carroll Center for the Blind helps nearly 1,300 blind or visually impaired children, adults and senior citizens gain the skills they need to live active and fulfilling lives. Our Newton campus houses our rehabilitation program, computer training classes, low vision store, and administrative offices. A large portion of our programs are services conducted in public schools, clients’ homes, and their communities.
The Job Coach & Vocational Assistant will provide support and training to individuals who are blind and visually impaired (BVI) on the job site, promote positive peer relations and integration, foster natural and provide other supports that are based on the individual’s needs.
- Assist in assessing clients for employment and matching them based on skills and interest.
- Co-teach soft skills for work readiness (such as business etiquette, good verbal and written communication, developing a resume and dressing for success).
- Support clients at the job site (learn job tasks, communicate with employer what might that include)
- Foster professional work relationships and good communication with supervisor as well as colleagues.
- Travel to the work site and coach the client on job tasks and appropriate workplace etiquette.
- Provide travel training support to Clients at job site.
- Serve as liaison between the client and work site; create positivity and build strong work relationships.
- Provide client case notes for reports
- Attend Case Management Team Meetings, as able.
- Inform Workforce Specialist of client’s weekly progress, issues of concern and overall performance.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- High School diploma required; Bachelor’s degree in Rehabilitation Counseling or related field a plus.
- Prior 1-2 years’ experience with persons with disabilities is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate effectively both verbally and in writing is required.
- Proficient technology skills using Microsoft Office required.
- Successful CORI check is required, Must become CPR/First Aid certified within 90 days of hire.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form (linked below) and also email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Should you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.
The Carroll Center for the Blind is a private, non-profit agency located in Newton, Massachusetts that serves persons of All Ages and All Stages of Vision Loss. We are close to Boston, Cambridge, Wellesley, Watertown, Waltham, Allston/Brighton, and on public transit routes.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law.
The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all. Our mission and impact shines bright on all.