DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC INITIATIVES
We seek a dynamic, insightful Director of Strategic Initiatives to provide high-level project management and analytical support for key strategic initiatives of The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB). Reporting to and working closely with the President and CEO, the Director of Strategic Initiatives will manage the analysis, design, development and implementation of diverse organization-wide strategic projects and initiatives to ensure the Center’s long-term success. The Director of Strategic Initiatives will collaborate with key CCB leaders and departments across the organization including, but not limited, to Programs, Finance, HR, Marketing, Development, Facilities and Safety on operational activities, essential priorities and select strategic projects and initiatives. You will measure and project growth opportunities and organizational performance around strategic goals and objectives, including development of an organizational performance dashboard. Additionally, you are responsible for collaborating with and supporting the President on major strategic planning initiatives, high-level operations, and communications with important external stakeholders. If you are a natural leader who possesses excellent verbal/written communications skills and has a thoughtful, persuasive personal style, come join our passionate and committed Team.
Each year, The Carroll Center for the Blind helps more than 4,000 blind or visually impaired children, adults, and senior citizens gain the skills they need to live active and fulfilling lives. The Carroll Center serves all ages and stages of vision loss by providing campus-based rehabilitation, technology instruction, community orientation and mobility as well as itinerant education and mobility services to children.
- Direct and manage a broad range of projects and initiatives to help ensure organizational effectiveness and attainment of strategic priorities consistent with the short and long-range plan.
- Work with the President and Senior Management team to lead and support both ongoing and one-time programs, projects or initiatives that support CCB’s strategic goals and mission.
- Serve as CCB’s subject matter expert and prepare talking points for high-level discussions or presentations (e.g., new Referring Agency “Pitch”)
- Prepare project/program updates related to a portfolio of operational initiatives to the Center’s Board of Directors including Strategic Planning Committee, Development Committee (in conjunction with the Chief Development and Communications Officer), HR Committee, as well as others.
- Oversee and work collaboratively with leadership, internal and external stakeholders to prepare deliverables, manage important deliverables and ensure timely completion of projects and initiatives.
- Coach, mentor, and lead those responsible for key organizational objectives as appropriate.
- Facilitate and track key initiatives by monitoring progress towards achieving goals, ensuring follow-through on the part of relevant players and sustaining momentum needed to drive these initiatives; execute other ad-hoc analyses as required to support President and Senior Management.
- Manage the creation and distribution of important CCB materials covering a variety of topics including strategic planning, metrics performance and dashboards, program operations, market data, and industry trends in partnership with marketing/communications and program team members.
- Conduct research and data collection relative to market trends as needed for the purpose of identifying industry standards and creating best practices and innovative growth plans.
- Bachelor’s degree required and post-graduate degree is strongly preferred.
- 7 years+ experience in the nonprofit industry with significant project and leadership experience; building financial and program models and working with data sets to solve business problems.
- Demonstrated understanding of and appreciation for the driving issues in the vision and blindness field as well as rehabilitation services is highly preferred.
- Must be mission-driven and value oriented.
- Thorough understanding of business operations; broad experience across several disciplines preferred (i.e., strategy, business development, process/program improvement, assessment, finance, communications or marketing, etc.).
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills to effectively interface clearly and concisely with all levels of leadership in-person, over the phone, via video conference and through email.
- Strong planning, analytical, time management and organizational skills; robust project management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent leading, facilitation, influencing and communication skills.
- Ability to manage conflict within the team objectively and by demonstrated ability to influence others and achieve resolution of key issues.
- Ability to build and foster collaborative relationships both internally and externally; sound judgment, decision-making, and effectiveness of implementing process or program improvements; works constructively under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work streams in a fast-paced environment while maintaining outstanding attention to detail as well as quality and timeliness of deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team; ability to adapt in a flexible manner as required.
- Adheres to the highest ethical standards, possesses unquestionable integrity and the ability to maintain confidential information. Builds trust and respect amongst peers and external constituents.
- Proficiency in MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook required; aptitude in other applications such as MS Project, Access and Excel macros are a plus.
- Must be willing to work extended hours to meet tight deadlines of projects and other deliverables.
- Must have valid driver’s license and good driving record.
We offer a generous benefits package to include health and dental coverage, vision, Flexible Spending Account, basic life insurance, voluntary life insurance, 4 weeks’ accrued vacation, personal day, 12 accrued sick days, 11 holidays and a retirement program (403b) with up to a 3% employer match.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and a completed application (found below) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*For best results and the most accessible experience using a Windows screen reader, activate the application form link below. Then press Control + S to save a blank copy of the application to your computer. Complete the PDF form using the free Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. If you do not already have the program installed, you can Download Adobe Acrobat Reader from the Adobe website. Once you have completed the form, press Control + S to save a copy to your computer.
*If completing the application form electronically, please fill in all applicable fields, select print, and then choose “Save as PDF” to save your information in the document.
The Carroll Center for the Blind is a private, non-profit agency located in Newton, Massachusetts that serves persons of All Ages and All Stages of Vision Loss. We are close to Boston, Cambridge, Wellesley, Watertown, Waltham, Allston/Brighton, and on public transit routes.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law.
The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all. Our mission and impact shines bright on all.