DATABASE AND PROSPECT RESEARCH MANAGER (Full-time)
The Carroll Center for the Blind empowers those who are blind and visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. The Carroll Center serves all ages and stages of vision loss by providing campus-based rehabilitation, technology instruction, community orientation and mobility as well as itinerant education and mobility services to children.
Critical to scaling the Carroll Center for the Blind’s fundraising programs and in anticipation of a major comprehensive campaign, the Manager serves as a key strategist and integral member on the Development team, reports to the Director of Annual Giving and Database Operations and works closely with Carroll Center colleagues. The Database and Prospect Research Manager implements and manages a comprehensive fundraising database system, gift acknowledgement process, prospect research program and will be responsible for the integrity of the database, including oversight of gift entry. Prospect research including donor screening, rating, review, and prospect mining activities are important facets to the success of the campaign readiness and major gift program growth. The stewardship program, including generating donor acknowledgement letters and tax gift receipts are included in these responsibilities.
Database Management and Reporting
- Serve as the Raiser’s Edge program operational and functional subject matter expert; proactively looks for ways to optimize Raiser’s Edge functionality to track donor and/or donation data that is not currently tracked or tracked outside of Raiser’s Edge. Serves as the primary operational and database liaison on fundraising project initiatives.
- Ensure that best practices in data management and reporting functions are being implemented.
- Identifies operational deficiencies and recommends standards, policies and procedures that will mitigate risk to ensure data and database integrity. Assists development staff with database administration activities.
- Responsible for administration and oversight of Raiser’s Edge security and configuration and the creation of new campaign, fund and appeal records. Assists with oversight of daily data entry and maintenance of biographic and demographic constituent data. Assists with the creation of donor acknowledgement/tax receipt letters ensuring that they meet non-profit tax substantiation requirements and are accurate and timely.
- Maintain tools to track and report progress towards individual and team development goals and campaign goals.
- Support the Chief Development and Communications Officer (CDCO), development staff and CEO in prospect and donor activity and report entry in RE.
- Maintain campaign tracking and reporting functions, including the maintenance of all gift agreements and naming opportunity agreements.
- Produce prospect reports for the CEO, CDCO and Campaign Leadership Committee meetings.
- Produce the Annual Report lists and distribution of the Annual Report.
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive program for data management, ensuring proper prospect and donor information is entered to benefit the organization’s fundraising and communications efforts.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all database functions:
- Design reports and queries for mailings/invitations, etc.
- Responsible for completion of all constituent data entry and updates.
- Handle all imports and exports of data.
- Manages database software maintenance:
- Act as primary contact in close collaboration with the Carroll Center’s IT Manager to troubleshoot technical issues.
- Conduct database analysis and research including needs assessment.
- Evaluate the need for and recommend upgrades, fixes, plug-ins, etc.
- Keep up with news and trends in database technology and development methodology.
- Assign appropriate access rights and ensure proper training for all new and current users.
- Update internal policy and procedural documents as needed to reflect changes in the organization’s operations.
- Coordinate and assists with the operational handling of donations and purchases from fundraising events.
- Ensure the integrity of philanthropic data by performing regular data audit checks, identifying data entry errors and/or incorrect code usage and taking corrective action to mitigate future errors.
- Review duplicate records reports and utilizes merge functions to eliminate duplicates.
- Ensure that donor data, both electronic and paper form, are properly secured and retained.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Oversee regular wealth screening activities working closely with the Director of Annual Giving and Database Operations.
- Support the CEO and CDCO in major gift prospect research, updating profiles as needed, and conducting new research following industry best practices.
- Research and collate research briefings for all potential donors (as needed), including individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Prepare and provide oversight for the preparation of briefings for relevant staff for events and meetings.
- Assist with planning and implementation of prospect management research procedures.
- 5 years of experience with prospect research and database management in a nonprofit setting.
- Bachelor’s degree in nonprofit management, marketing, communications or a related field (or equivalent experience of fundraising and its processes).
- 5 years proven experience with Raiser’s Edge and report writing, prospect management and gift posting.
- Skilled in proofreading, report-writing, and delivering presentations.
- Exceptional computer skills with all Microsoft Office programs and Raiser’s Edge,
- Working Knowledge of fundraising information sources and familiarity with research techniques for fundraising prospect research.
- Exceptional project management, communication, organizational, detail oriented, interpersonal and research skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize workflow.
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Classy Platform familiarity a plus
We offer a generous benefits package to include health and dental coverage, vision, Flexible Spending Account, 4 weeks accrued vacation, personal day, 12 accrued sick days, 11 holidays and a retirement program (403b) with up to a 3% employer match.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form (linked below) and also email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will be happy to assist you.
The Carroll Center for the Blind is a private, non-profit agency located in Newton, Massachusetts that serves persons of All Ages and All Stages of Vision Loss. We are close to Boston, Cambridge, Wellesley, Watertown, Waltham, Allston/Brighton, and on public transit routes.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law.
The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all. Our mission and impact shines bright on all.