Business Office Assistant
Each year, the Carroll Center for the Blind helps nearly 1,300 blind or visually impaired children, adults and senior citizens gain the skills they need to live active and fulfilling lives. Our Newton campus houses our rehabilitation program, computer training classes, low vision store, and administrative offices. A large portion of our programs are services conducted in public schools, clients’ homes, and their communities.
Who We Seek
We are seeking a highly motivated, detail oriented, and organized individual to join our team and be part of our impactful mission!
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Business Office Assistant will help prepare monthly billings, receive and deposit cash, post electronic payments onto the general ledger, reconcile general ledger donations to Development Office database, perform daily bookkeeping and recordkeeping, process credit card receipts as needed, generate and email invoices, post monthly billing to the general ledger and perform other related tasks as assigned.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly invoices and related documentation as required by various clients, Massachusetts state agencies, out-of-state agencies, U.S. Government agencies, public and private school districts, and private parties serviced by the Program departments.
- Follow procedures prescribed by various funding agencies for invoice submission, as each agencies’ rules and regulations are different.
- Assist in obtaining information from Program departments needed to troubleshoot, prepare the monthly billings, and follow up with department management/staff when information is unclear, incomplete, or resolve other questions as they arise.
- Assist in maintaining files and track billings of certain authorization orders from local, state and federal agencies and ensure that billings for individual clients have such authorizations.
- For agencies such as the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind, which pay billings electronically, access the Center’s bank account daily to determine whether payments have been received, obtains the details of such payments, determines which invoices to match, and posts them daily to the General Ledger.
- Check internal mail daily for receivables payments, typically from cities and towns for services rendered to schools, prepares the bank deposit, identifies invoices being paid, makes copies of checks received, and prepares the cash receipt transaction for posting to MS Dynamics.
- Periodically review the aging of Accounts Receivable and contact overdue accounts to determine reasons for non-payment. Contact internal departments as needed and report to them that the agency is missing certain information prior to being able to pay the invoice.
- Prepare the daily cash deposit consisting of receivables and deposits from donors, and then are delivered to the accounting office. Uses a uniquely designed internal deposit slip for donations listing the various general ledger accounts and classes to which a donation may be credited. Determines that this form, prepared by the Development office, matches with the cash being deposited.
- Process bank deposits through bank-provided computer scanner and software, bring cash deposits to the bank and process credit card receipts, as needed.
- Cross-train in other areas of the Business Office to assist with workflow as needed.
- Perform other related tasks as assigned.
- 3+ years’ experience in Accounts Receivable processing in a computerized environment, monthly billing and managing a database required.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, verbal/written, and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Outlook, Excel and Word required, working knowledge of MS Dynamics a plus.
- Ability to troubleshoot, be detail oriented and work independently essential.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a variety of activities simultaneously, be highly organized and thrive in a fast paced environment required.
We offer a generous benefits package to include health and dental coverage, vision, Flexible Spending Account, 3 weeks accrued vacation, personal day, 12 accrued sick days, 12 holidays and a retirement program (403b) with up to a 4% employer match.
How To Apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please complete the application form (linked below). Should you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist you.
The Carroll Center for the Blind is a private, non-profit agency located in Newton, Massachusetts that serves persons of All Ages and All Stages of Vision Loss. We are close to Boston, Cambridge, Wellesley, Watertown, Waltham, Allston/Brighton, and on public transit routes.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
The Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and always fosters acceptance for everyone. We offer fair opportunities to all qualified persons in recruitment and selection, employment, compensation and benefits, professional development and training, transfers, promotions, social activities, and the use of CCB’s facilities. CCB welcomes all qualified applicants and ensures that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, mental or physical disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, military, or veteran status, political or union affiliation, or any other categories protected by Federal or State law. The CCB culture embraces both the law and a work environment that is safe, positive, diverse, inclusive, and equitable. Our mission and impact shines brightly on all.