ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY INSTRUCTOR
The Carroll Center for the Blind empowers those who are blind and visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. The Carroll Center serves all ages and stages of vision loss by providing campus-based rehabilitation, technology instruction, community orientation and mobility as well as itinerant education and mobility services to children.
We seek an Assistive Technology Instructor to teach blind and visually impaired consumers, as well as those who work with them, to use mainstream technology with assistive technology for employment and/or educational purposes. The Assistive Technology Instructor works with consumers and referral agencies to determine the most appropriate computer access product(s) and training goals. Incumbents will perform assistive technology assessments, work with consumers to help them achieve their goals, generate training and assessment reports on consumers; respond to questions submitted to Carroll Center for the Blind (CCB) Computer Training Alumni Google Group and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field and CATIS certification preferred, 2-3 years’ experience as an Assistive Technology Instructor for the blind or 5+ years as a user who demonstrates in-depth knowledge of the software products required.
- Ability to self-teach or collaborate with co-workers when possible to learn new or unfamiliar technology.
- Demonstrated ability to trouble-shoot technical problems and identify support systems when necessary.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and strong written/oral communication skills.
- Capable of working autonomously or as part of a team.
- Advanced knowledge of the following: JAWS for Windows, ZoomText, VoiceOver, Victor Reader Stream, Windows 10, Microsoft Word 2019/365, Microsoft PowerPoint 2019/365, Microsoft Outlook 2019/365, Web browsers for navigating websites, and Adobe Reader.
- Some in-state travel to consumers’ jobsites and homes is required.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.